Willkommen Bienvenue Welcome

Welcome, gentle readers.

This is an everyday tale of regular folk, who moved from Sheffield to the deepest Corrèze in France Profonde and thence to the rather more cosmopolitan Lot in search of something… different. We certainly found it.

The Lot is an area of outstanding natural beauty. Reputedly, a famous TV globetrotter was asked where, of all the places in the world he had visited, he might return to. He answered, ‘The Lot’.

Fans of Channel 4’s Grand Designs will know that we built a somewhat quirky straw bale house-with-a-view here in the Lot, not far from the celebrated Dordogne river. You can read all about it in my book,
Bloody Murder On The Dog's Meadow, or watch the re-runs of the programme on More 4, or view it on You Tube.

After a break in the proceedings to write a book or two, this blog now takes the form of an everyday journal. Sometimes things happen, sometimes they don't (but the art school dance goes on forever). I hope it will give you an entertaining insight into what it's like to live in a foreign country; what it's like in the slow lane as an ex-pat Brit in deepest France.

I shall undertake to update this once a month, unless absent on leave. Comments always welcomed, by the way, but I do tend to forget what buttons to click in order to answer them.


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Day in the Life

‘I rise at six and I feed the chicks…’
And that’s about all I can remember of a daft single by Benny Hill called ‘Harvest of Love’. My parents’ friends, Bill and Irene, gave it to them. They never really played it, but we kids would play it over and over on the old Ekco gramophone. ‘And oi’ll reap the ‘aaarvest of love…’
The point is, I do rise at six.  I say that, not in a self-justificatory way (as my mother has always justified her existence by claiming that she’s been ‘up since 5.30’ – though she usually fails to explain exactly what she’s been doing since 5.30; cutting peat?), but because it’s a necessity in this household.
My ‘girls’ leave for Brive at an ungodly hour. Just after seven, in fact. Tilley starts school at eight and Debs is often treating clients by 8.30. The journey to Brive takes half an hour and you have to add on ten minutes for Tilley to apply her make-up.
So I rise at six to speed them on their way. While our daughter spends far too long in the shower, I stoke the fire, make sure that the new heat pump is still turning and boil a kettle for our first-thing therapeutic hot lemons. And while the water is boiling, I give Daisy and Myrtle their croquettes and Alf his starter-for-five of bread scraps steeped in dog-food gravy. ‘Mmm, nice Max.’
I then get them their breakfast, sort out their lunch and look them out a CD for the journey. By raising shutter no.2, they can go out by the French windows we’ve always used rather than the front door at the side of the house, which I’ve failed to convince them to use.
Waiting for daylight, I tend to write my journal or try to get to the end of the chapter of the book that fell out of my hand in bed the night before. And when daylight arrives, I get dressed, go down to my still remarkably tidy cave, check that the boiler is still alight after Tilley’s shower, add salt to the water softener, pump up the bicycle tyres and take Alf out on his morning constitutional.
Back in the warmth, I turn on the computer. While it goes through its 20-minute warm-up routine, I make myself two cup-lets of egregiously strong coffee and listen to some ‘damn fine’ music as I muse about the day ahead.
Displacement activities like making the beds
After a quick look at the BBC and Guardian headlines just to reassure myself that I do still live in a big world outside this house, I start work. That might be an e-learning script or an article when I have paid work, or some current creative project when I don’t. Despite my uncommonly comfortable chair, I get up frequently and engage in such displacement activities as bed-making, sink-shining and tug-of-war with our demanding dog.
Have lunch, then either repeat or, if it’s not too inclement, get outside for some futile bit of gardening or some rather more critical maintenance to the house.  Allow to simmer till 4.30 or thereabouts when it’s time to feed the cats and to give Alf his main course – of croquettes moistened with dog-food gravy. ‘Mmm, nice Max.’
The last of the daylight allows me just enough time to give Alf his second ‘bicyclical’ constitutional of the day. It often coincides with the passing of the school bus. I wave cheerily at the driver. Depending on who’s behind the wheel, I may get a rather diffident acknowledgement. They probably think I’m mad.
And then I shut up shop for the day: retrieve wood, stack by side door and click on innumerable switches to send the shutters down on their graceful and technologically impressive descents. Since the ‘girls’ don’t get back from Brive till gone eight most evenings, I have time to carry on computing (they never filmed that one, did they?) before preparing supper.
After said supper, we might watch a little telly. Unless it’s Mad Men, Debs is usually asleep within five minutes. If it’s something particularly good, I’ll record it so she can watch the next five minutes the following evening. Then we go to bed with many Walton-esque declarations of everlasting love. ‘G’night grampaw…’ I read until the book slips out of my hand and wakes me with a start as it crashes to the floor.
Yes, ‘it’s Friday, it’s five o’clock and it’s…’ The Life of Reilly!! Hmm. Maybe I’d better start justifying my existence.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark
    This is a blast from the past.
    You will have an extrordinary memory if you can put my name and face together, but here goes. My name is Colin Yates (not in a Michael Caine slur) but in a brummy twang. I moved you house and home from Brighton to Sheffield many, many years ago. Too much to say in one brief post , have a look on my website for starters. It's a pleasure to see you and your family so happy. You always were a lovely man.
    Cheers Colin
    www.footballfineart.com

    ReplyDelete